Monday 22 September 2014

Walk this way

Round 16: June 2025


Kurt Robinson is 69, Tina is 37, Frieda is 17, Tim is 4 and Michael is 1.
(Zach is 21 and Sara is 16.)


Narrated by Frieda.

Christian broke up with me last week. He's leaving to study abroad and he felt like there's no point in dragging out our relationship because he doesn't know when and if he's coming back. I know breaking up was the sensible thing to do but it still hurt. I never really expected us to stay together forever but he was my first boyfriend and this is my first break-up so it's going to take some time to get over it.

I'm trying not to dwell on my bad feelings though and try to focus on school work and hang out with my friends instead. School's out but I try to study a bit every now and then and also keep in mind that the try-outs for the university football team are in a couple of months and I need to be on my best form by then. It's crazy to think that in six months I'll be moving to Brixton and studying something. I haven't really decided what I want to do when I grow up so I haven't even thought about what I want to study.

Sara's got it all figured out even though she still has a year and a half before she goes to college. Emily and Aaron both know what they want to do. I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't have their whole future planned ahead already. All I know is that right now I want to play football.

Tina says it's ok not to know yet. She says that people change and even if I picked one career path now it doesn't necessarily mean that I want to follow the same path ten years from now.

"People change. I'm not the same I was when I was 18 - all I wanted was to hang out with my friends and be popular. Call it mid-life crisis or whatever but my priorities have changed. I'm not saying I'm a better person now but I'm definitely different than I was before."

It's so great to have someone to talk to. Dad still talks to me like I'm a child because to him I'll always be a little girl I guess. Tina's different. She'll never take mom's place - no one ever could - but I'm really happy to have her in my life.

I won't lie, I was a bit jealous when Tim was born because I felt like dad and I had never been really close and now he had this new kid that got to spend more time with him than I ever had. By the time that Mikey was born I didn't feel that way anymore. I know dad regrets being distant with me but I feel like we've been able to bond more now that we spend time together playing with Tim and Mikey.

Jack told me to enjoy my last summer as a high school student so I'm not working at the farm anymore. I'm not complaining about all the free time I have especially since the weather has been really nice. Tim has been begging me to take him swimming so we took a bus to Exmoor and went to the Exmoor Aqua Park with Sara.

There's a life guard at the water park so I didn't have to worry when Tim went to swim in the pool. Sara and I decided to soak in the sun for a while before going to take a swim in the pool. Sara was talking about her boyfriend and for a brief moment I thought about Christian. I do miss him sometimes but at the same time I think I'm starting to get over the break-up.

My thoughts were interrupted when someone called out to Sara. It was Zach and when he said "hi" to me I felt like a nervous 13-year-old girl having a hopeless crush on an older boy again. It's not like I haven't seen him around sometimes but I haven't actually talked to him in years. I could feel myself blushing just thinking about how I used to follow him around like a puppy. He didn't seem to notice though or maybe he did but he's so used to girls swooning over him all the time that it's easy for him to ignore.

Sara knows all the details about my embarrassing crush on Zach and after he had gone she said that the age difference isn't that bad now. I just don't see it happening though. From what I've heard he's not even considering settling down with just one girl and I don't think I'd want to share.

Dad's trying to convince to live at home when I start college.

"It's not that long ride on the bus, you know. Or we could get you a car if you want" he says.

I've put my foot down though. I really want to get the whole college experience, not just classes but living in a dorm and meeting lots of new people. I'm not afraid to voice my own opinions to dad and nowadays he usually just gets this fond look on his face and says that I'm just like mom.

Dad's not the only one who's trying to convince me to stay here. Tim's been following me around ever since he learnt that I would leave for school in a few months. I'm gonna miss the boys but I'll be visiting all the time so we'll still see each other really often.

Sometimes I sit in the grass in our backyard and think that good things are going to happen in my life and I just can't help but smile.


Notes:
  • Title reference: Walk this way by MØ.
  • Tina rolled the ROS for the mid-life crisis. It was kind of difficult to include it in this update because I really wanted to write from Frieda's POV. I didn't do any major changes, just switched her primary and secondary aspirations so she's now Family/Popularity and her new LTW is Graduate 3 Children from College.
  • I really don't know what Frieda will be studying so I guess it's time for the Choosing careers "game" by Carla and Apple Valley. She'll most likely have an undeclared major for her freshman year to give her time to figure out what she wants to do.
  • There's no big drama behind Frieda and Christian's break-up. I just don't want to continue romances with teenage townies because I won't be aging them to adults in any case anyway.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad Frieda can appreciate having Tina to talk to, since she doesn't really feel like her dad gets where she's at developmentally. Does Tina's new aspiration and LTW fit her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Kurt is kind of stuck on the idea of Frieda being a little girl. Maybe it's because they weren't that close after her mom died.

      I think Tina's new aspiration and LTW fit her really well. She's much more family-oriented than she was when I decided to make her a playable. I doubt she'll ever actually achieve her LTW because her ideal family size is 2 but you never know.

      Thanks for your comment. :)

      Delete
  2. In New Maximiliania, I let my students decide what they want to study. Usually, they roll the want for a specific major after they've been at college for a while. Some never roll that want, and so eventually, the game decides for them to be in philosophy.
    It will be interesting to see how Frieda settles in at college, and I am glad she has not taken the breaking up with her first boyfriend too hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually try to make my students study something that's related to their future career because usually I have an idea for a sim's future career by the time they go to college. I'm sure Frieda will figure something out, she's quite determined.

      Frieda's secondary aspiration is Romance so I think she's not in a hurry to settle down just yet, she probably likes the idea of starting college as a single girl.

      Thanks for your comment. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm the same with teenage townies. It's really rare that they're interesting enough for me to continue with past high school. They get total makeovers and go back in "the pool" to be used for dating fodder for my future teens, lol. So I can understand breaking up Frieda and Christian.

    I'm really excited to see Frieda out on her own in college. I think it's going to be a great thing for her to strike out by herself and it'll be interesting to see what she chooses to study...and who she might meet! I don't blame her for not really wanting to hook up with Zach at the moment but I wonder if things will change in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I totally do the same thing for my teenage townies. Christian will get a new name and haircut and maybe someday he'll get to date another one of my playables, lol.

      It's kind of refreshing to play someone who doesn't have a clear career path ahead of them. I usually have a plan or at least a vague idea what my sims will do for living but Frieda's like a blank page at the moment. It'll be interesting to see if anything happens between her and Zach once she grows up.

      Thanks for your comment. :)

      Delete
  4. Makes sense that Frieda and Christian broke up, I usually leave mine stuck as teens as well, only a few times have they aged up and that was to marry. Excited to see Frieda in college, and what career path she will end up going down, so many options for her at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give my townies makeovers and new names from time to time and that's what's going to happen to Christian as well. I don't really like adding new townies so I recycle the ones I have, lol.

      I'm really excited to play Frieda in college. I bet she's going to have a lot of fun.

      Thanks for your comment. :)

      Delete